5 hrs 10 mins
3 hrs 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe came from the Vancouver Sun Newspaper about 40 years ago. I was recently given this recipe to try. Well worth the work!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb butter
- 1 lb white sugar
- 1 lb all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces grape jelly
- 1 ounce dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 12 medium egg yolks
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1/2 cup grape juice
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1/2 lb blanched almond
- 1 lb pecans
- 3 lbs dark seedless raisins
- 1 lb sultana raisin
- 1 lb crystallized pineapple
- 1 lb candied red cherries
- 1 lb candied green cherries
- 1 lb candied citron peel
- 12 medium egg whites
- 1Pecans chopped roughly, almonds slivered and soak overnight in orange juice.
- 2Pineapple to be cut in tidbit size, cherries cut in quarters, citron peel cut fine, be sure to wash raisins, soak overnight in grape juice and rum.
- 3Set aside one cup of flour from recipe to sprinkle over the fruit before adding to batter.
- 4Cream butter at room temperature like whipped cream.
- 5Add sugar gradually until no sugar grains remain (about 15 minutes).
- 6Beat in egg yolks throughly.
- 7Stir in jelly and melted chocolate.
- 8Blend in flour and baking powder.
- 9Add fruit with hands small amounts at a time mixing well.
- 10Add almonds and pecans (juice as well if still leftover).
- 11Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- 12Line pans with thin cardboard bottom and sides.
- 13Line pans with tin foil over the cardboard.
- 14Fill pans 3/4 full with batter (5-6 loaf pans).
- 15Bake at 275°F for 2 1/2 hours.
- 16If you use mini-pans you will have to watch the baking.
- 17You will know they are done when the tops are slightly dark.
- 18Possible cracking of the loaf--little bit springy, but not too springy.
- 19Cool on racks before removing.
- 20Peel off tin foil gently wrap in Saran Wrap (or cheesecloth if you are planning to soak in rum afterwards).
- 21Then wrap in tin foil store in a cool place tin container.
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma R's Fruitcake
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.6
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 54.0 mg
- Sodium 89.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 46.3 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: