Prep 45 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Spring time in a jar!!!
- 6 bunches asparagus
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into strips
- 6 sprigs fresh dill
- 6 serrano peppers, with a slice in the tip
- 1 (15 ounce) canfancy whole spears baby sweet corn cobs, drained
- 7 tablespoons canning salt
- 2 quarts water
- 2 quarts white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices, all cloves removed
- Trim asparagus to fit into a 1 quart jar. Leave top rubberband on to keep bunches together.
- Blanch in boiling water for no more than 1 min.(If using really skinny asparagus skip the blanching and wash the stalks in cold water.).
- Remove and cool in an ice bath. Drain on paper towels.
- Place 1 bunch of asparagus, 1 spring of dill, 1 serrano pepper, and 4 halves of garlic in each jar.
- Place as many carrots and baby corn in each jar that you like, untill everthing is tightly packed.
- Bring the water, vinegar, salt, and pickling spice wrapped in cheese cloth to a boil in a large non-reactive kettle for 15 minutes.
- Pour hot liquid into jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Tap jars lghtly on counter to remover air bubbles.
- Place jar lids into boiling water. Place lids on top of jars and screw on tightly.
- Place jars in a boiling water canner (make sure water is boiling when you put the jars in).
- Bring water back up to a boil. Cover canner with lid, and shut off the heat.
- Leave jars in canner with the water for 24 hours.
- Remove jars after 24 hours and check to see if they sealed.
- Store any unsealed jars in fridge and eat within 10 days.
- Store sealed jars for 2 weeks before eating to enhance flavor.
- Enjoy all year long!