This chicken is a little different as it does have fresh or canned tomatoes in as well as lemon. This is a great recipe. Serve with Italian flat green beans, and polenta, or garlic mashed potatoes or just a fresh out of the garden salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs roasting chickens, cut into 8 portions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small carrot, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 4 tablespoons Italian parsley, minced
- 6 fresh sage leaves or 6 dried sage
- 1 lemon zest, shredded
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/16 teaspoon ground cloves (pinch only)
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh tomatoes or 3/4 cup canned tomato, drained and chopped
- 2/3 cup chicken broth (or drained tomato juices)
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (divided)
- 1Rinse and dry the chicken pieces well. Heat the oil in a large frypan over medium high heat, slip in the pieces of chiken skin side down, not letting them touch each other.
- 2Brown over medium heat or lower adjusting the temperature so the chicken colours slowly taking about 15 minutes to reach a nice amber colour.
- 3Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper as they cook, then turn with a wooden fork and spatula, try not to pierce the chicken and letting out the juices. We are only browning the chicken well at this stage.
- 4Remove the browned chicken to a large platter.
- 5Pour off all but a few tablespoons of the fat.
- 6Place the frypan over medium heat and add the carrot, onion, parsley, and sage leaves, and cook until the onion starts to turn golden brown.
- 7Stir in the lemon zest and keep stirring until onion is deep golden.
- 8Taking care not too burn the brown bits and glaze on the bottom of frypan.
- 9Blend in the minced garlic, a pinch of ground cloves, the tomatoes, and liquid of choice ( water, canned drained juices, or chicken broth).
- 10Scraping the liquid into the brown bits to free up.
- 11Add the chicken back into the frypan with 2 tablespoons only of lemon juice, bring all to a gentle simmer bubble.
- 12Cover the pan and cook another 15 minutes.
- 13Uncover the pan now and cook the last ten minutes, turning all the pieces to keep moist, and condensing down.
- 14The sauce should be thickened and clinging to the chicken pieces.
- 15Now ready to serve have a hot platter ready.
- 16Sprinkle the remaining 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice over the chicken taste for salt and pepper.
- 17Pile the chicken onto the plater and moisten all the pieces with pan juices.
- 18Sprinkle with extra minced parsley.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma Rose's Lemon Italian Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.6
- Calories from Fat 342
- Total Fat 38.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 142.5 mg
- Sodium 225.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 34.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves