Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Soft Italian cake type cookie. this recipe has been in the family before I was born, so I will label it as 1946...
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons anise extract or 3 teaspoons anise flavoring
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (could also be half cake flour half all purpose flour)
- Beat eggs with oil and sugar five minutes.
- Combine the milk and anise flavour.
- Combine the flour and salt and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Make a soft, very soft dough.
- Soft but not sticky.
- If you add too much flour they will be dry cookies.
- Roll pieces of dough into finger lengths,and widths, and shape into a figure 8.
- Bake on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake 350F for 8 to 10 minutes, just bottoms slightly golden.
- Tops should have no colour.
- Frost with a glaze of , icing powder, and anise flavour; drop of milk.
As a child I grew up with these cookies. Looking for the recipe for years untill I lucked out with putting in Italian puff cookie and wala,here it is. I made them the next day waiting for my first tast of memories. As I took the first bite I started to cry I was a child again sitting on my grandmothers porch eating this cookie all over again. That was 50 years ago. Thank you andypandy for bringing me back to a part of my childhood that I had lost many years ago.
I can so relate to the other lady who said she felt like crying because of the flood of childhood memories. Thank you soo much for sharing this piece of Italian heaven. I followed the recipe exactly as shown and they turned out perfectly. I am not used to this success with authentic Italian recipes. I guess my mom and nonna we're helping me a bit.
I come from an itallian community in Canada and when I served this recipe to family and friends - they absolutely said they were the best ever. They are soft and cake like and melt in your mouth. Really easy to bake and if the Itallian community here loves them - then you know you have real winner!