1/7 Photos of Grandma Rose's Italian Easter Bread 1947
Grandma Rose was from Calabria Italy. We always had this at Easter time. Great for toast and really good for French Toast. Just eat with a dab fresh butter and a cup of coffee. If you braid it, you can put sugar cubes on top that will burst in the oven in those areas, That is how the Italian bakeries do the tops. Ours is plain....
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Scald whole milk and let cool, add in the yeast.
- 2Beat eggs, and juice, and zest.
- 3Beat sugar and butter until fluffy continue to beat well.
- 4Add the beaten egg mixture into the beaten sugar butter mixture.
- 5Combine with the cooled scaled milk , and yeast mixture.
- 6Combine well, add sifted flour, continue adding flour until a soft dough comes together.
- 7Turn out onto a table and knead until soft, not too sticky, 5- 10 minutes.
- 8Let double in a greased bowl, covered.
- 9Punch down and let rise again.
- 10Form into braids after second rising, or put into loaf pans.
- 11Let rise until almost doubled Bake 350 degrees, until golden, 20 minutes approximately.
- 12Note; the amount of flour can be anything from 8- 12 cups, or more. but add gradually until you have a soft slightly sticky dough -- where when touched your finger comes away tacky but not sticking to the bread board.Keep your dough soft not firm --.
- 13All depends on flour and humidity and how much juice from your oranges and lemons.
- 14Can braid and place under braiding but showing raw eggs white or already coloured, eggs will cook while baking, for an Easter morning delight.
- 15Directions on making the dough, can vary, as I have done the procedure in different ways, and now we can't get fresh compressed yeast in our stores, so I use active dry yeast, usually 2 tablespoons.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma Rose's Italian Easter Bread 1947
Serving Size: 1 (42 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 80
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 104.9
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 41.3 mg
- Sodium 122.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 2.0 g