Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe comes from my great grandmother. I had to get my grandmother to come up with measurements instead of litttle bit this, little bit that. She always uses the shallow pie shells and makes two pies because my father can devour one himself. She topped it with meringue and browned in the oven but I have also used whip cream.
- Mix sugar, flour and cocoa in saucepan.
- Add milk, then egg yolks and stir with wire wisk.
- Cook over medium heat until thick whisking often and being careful not to scortch.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter and vanilla.
- Place filling in baked pie shell and cool.
- Once cooled top with meringue and brown or whip cream.