Recipe by Julesong
This was my dad's favorite pie, and my mom got the recipe from his mother. It's been replicated all over the internet in the past few years. I think the first incidence can be documented to 1995.
- 1⁄2 pie crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups cut rhubarb, in 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten (extra large eggs are even better)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (yes, another 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup whole milk (not skim milk)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 1/2 pie crust into pie plate.
- Put the rhubarb in the crust and cover with 1/2 cup sugar.
- Add the other 1/2 cup sugar to the milk and beaten eggs, and pour mixture over rhubarb.
- Sprinkle top with cinnamon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes; let cool before serving to allow custard to set.
- Note from Julie: this was my dad's favorite pie, and my mom got the recipe from his mother.
- Note, again: I've been on the 'net for a very, very long time, and this is one of the earliest recipes that I submitted to any search engines. What I can say: it's a tried and true recipe, one we've been using for well over 50 years. It's what my mom will be serving at Christmas this year... what else can I say?