Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
These creamy, cheesy baked hashbrowns are a recipe from my boyfriend's mom and they're his favorite. They are delicious, but VERY rich. Feel free to lighten up the ingredients ... I can't because "that's not how mom made it."
- 1 lb frozen hash browns
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2 Tbsp slices
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Pour hashbrowns onto large cookie sheet and place butter slices all around on top of them.
- Pour enough whipping cream over potatoes to just cover, but not soak.
- Season with garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper (more or less depending on taste).
- Spread cheese over potatoes.
- Bake about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until potatoes are cooked and cheese is lightly browned.
Good. Made with cubed hash browns and gruyere; I think I want to try it again with the shredded type of hash browns. Mine didn't seem to "melt" appropriately in spite of cooking as prescribed.
We had these for dinner last night and they are fabulous. Only two changes, I added onions and left out the paprika. Will have to double the recipe for our potlucks I can tell! Easy and good!
These tasted pretty good and were easy to make. Crunchy and cheesey. I love Swiss cheese and potatoes, but I think these would work better for me if the Swiss cheese, butter and cream were melted in a saucepan to make a sauce first so thecheese wisn't so "stringy." Or perhaps maybe make this as written but use a more "melty" cheese like cheddar? I'm glad that I greased my cookie sheet, too. All in all, they tasted good and I'm glad that I tried them. Thanx for posting!