Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
These are the best homemade baked beans I ever had!!! My Grandma has been making them for years.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans (Rinsed and drained)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 whole onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 lb bacon (Cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- salt (To Taste)
- pepper (To Taste)
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Pre-cook bacon in large frying pan until fat is rendered and lightly brown about 5 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients in a baking or cassrole dish. Cover with lid or tin foil.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours.
Delicious! I thought I knew how these would taste but they were even better than I expected! I cut this in half but only used 3 slices of bacon, cut in 1/4-inch pieces. Otherwise stuck to the recipe (except I didn't add any salt). Used lots of fresh ground black pepper. Thanks to you and your Grandma for the great recipe! :) ~Apr 5, 2008.
Update: I made these today for a Father's Day cookout but because it was so hot I didn't want to turn on the oven. I put them in a slow cooker on high for about 3 hours and they were perfect. I did add a little more bacon than I did last time but otherwise made as before. Thanks again for the great recipe - everyone loved them!