Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I've watched my brother-in-law, Nate, cram whole pieces of this cake into his mouth at one go! Needless to say it's a family favorite particularly in the summer time.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (used in first half of recipe)
- 1⁄2 cup egg yolk (about 7 eggs)
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup egg white (about 7 eggs)
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (used in second half of recipe)
- Sift together flour and 3/4 c.
- Make a well in center.
- Add egg yolks, cold water, lemon juice and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Set aside.
- With electric mixer whip egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until foamy.
- Continue beating, adding remaining 3/4 c.
- of sugar a few T.
- at a time, until sugar is incorporated and meringue holds stiff peaks.
- FOLD batter into meringue until JUST blended.
- Pour into ungreased tube pan and cut through batter to break air bubbles.
- Bake at 350* for 50-55 minutes or until top springs back when touched.
- Invert on a wine bottle and hang until cool.
- Remove from pan and serve with whipped cream and strawberries.