Grandma Pauline Kings Southern Fried Chicken
- Put chicken pieces in a large bowl; add salt, black and red pepper, onion powder, and allspice. Toss chicken pieces in bowl until spices are distributed equally.
- Put flour in a medium-size bowl and roll each chicken piece until coated evenly.
- On medium heat in a large non-stick frying pan, bring canola oil up to temperature.
- Add chicken pieces one at a time, skin side down. Lightly sprinkle each side with onion powder and black pepper. Reduce heat to low to medium-low and cover with lid. Turn chicken pieces every 10 minutes for 30- 40 minutes. Chicken is done when both sides are golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Use a collander on a high rim plate to serve chicken on, allowing excess oil to drip free of the chicken as it cools to preserve crispiness.