Recipe by ClareVH
My mom says that her mom got this recipe from Grandma Osborne, which means it is a very old recipe. Unfortunately, no one knows exactly who "Grandma Osborne" was...Fortunately, she left us a moist old-fashioned applesauce cake. My mom never frosted this cake. I like it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350*F.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan and set aside. Cream together sugar and butter.
- Blend in egg.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add alternately with applesauce to the wet ingredients.
- Stir until well blended.
- Stir in raisins or nuts if using.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool and serve from pan.
- If you prefer, recipe will make 12 cupcakes.