Recipe by Monica Livesay
This is the most wonderful cake you have put in your mouth. Another one of my Granma Norn's recipes that has been in our family for years. It is also one we rarely share, but I love this site so much and have gotten so many wonderful recipes, I decided to give you great cooks something you will truly enjoy and get many, many compliments from. Let me know how you like it.
Top Review by Rushncook
This was wonderful. A very flexible recipe and so quick and easy to put together. I used lemon cake mix with strawberry Jell-o and 4 cups of fresh blackberries. I was not in the mood for a frosted cake so I mixed 1/4 cup of sliced almonds, 1/3 cup sugar and 1 Tbs melted butter, sprinkled that on top of the cake just before baking and it give it a wonderful crunch topping. Kudos to Grandma Norn. Thanks Monica!
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup oil
- 2 (3 ounce) boxes blackberry Jell-O or 2 (3 ounce) boxes raspberry Jell-O gelatin
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen blackberries, unthawed with juice (can use fresh berries also)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16 ounce) box confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl mix cake mix, eggs, oil and Jello on high speed with electric mixer about 2 minutes.
- Add berries; mix until blended well.
- Pour into greased and floured 9x13-inch pan.
- Bake at 350 until fork inserted in center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
- Allow cake to cool completely.
- In bowl make icing by beating cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually add confectioners' sugar.
- Frost cake, chill and serve.