Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This has been a cherished family recipe since my childhood. My grandma was very poor, but made the best food with what she had on hand, which, was usually ingredients from the garden and meat that my grandpa had raised or brought home from a good day of hunting. Hence the name bear soup, as my Grandma usually had bear or venision. But We always use beef stew meat. This may seem like a simple recipe but give it a try you will not be disappointed. This is the best comfort food ever and feeds a crowd. Also great to can and have all winter. Serve with a peanut butter sandwich and you have heart and belly warming meal.
- 1 (1 lb) package beef stew meat
- 1 large onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) cancampbell's tomato juice
- 1 (15 1/3 ounce) can corn
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can green beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 4 -5 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- In 5-quart Dutch oven add stew meat, onion, salt and pepper.
- Cover meat with water about 3 inches above meat.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer until meat is tender and a nice broth has formed.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.
Very easy to prepare! My family loved it. Will make again. Thanks Monica!