Recipe by CookbookCarrie
My Grandma used to bake this cake, only to have the whole thing disappear. She finally found out my Grandpa was taking it to his shop and hiding it in a drawer to snack on as he worked. It looks complicated, but it isnt, and the flavor is worth it. Every time I eat it I think of my grandparents and smile!
- 1 cup oatmeal (quick cooking)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked oatmeal
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour hot water over oatmeal; set aside.
- Cream together sugars and shortening, then add eggs.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add to the wet.
- Stir in oatmeal and vanilla.
- Pour into greased 9 x 13 cake pan and bake for 1 hr and 10 minutes at 350° and then top with topping.
- Topping: Combine butter, milk and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and continue to boil 1 minutes and add coconut, nuts and oatmeal.
- Spread on cake and broil until brown (WATCH CAREFULLY IT WILL BURN FAST).