Recipe by whtbxrmom
This is the only fruit filled pie that I will eat. I always request it when going home for the holidays. Good when it is still warm from the oven. And still yummy the next day. Just place a strip of waxed paper over the cut edge of your pie, if you cover the whole thing the topping will get soggy. My mother enjoys her pie with real whipped cream, my husband like his with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but I love mine just the way it is! Yum
- 1 pie crust
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 lbs tart cooking apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Have your pastry crust in a 9 inch pie plate chilling in the fridge.
- To make the topping mix flour and brown sugar, cut in butter with a pastry cutter (I believe that is what it is called) or using 2 knives in a criss-cross motion until crumbly. Place in fridge until ready to use.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice. Mix flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon and stir into apples. Pour apple mixture into chilled pie crust and top with crumb topping.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until apples are done. Keep an eye on it while baking as you may have to cover pie crust edges with foil to prevent them from getting too brown. I also place an empty pizza pan on the rack just below my pie to catch any juice dripping.
- Prep time will vary depending on the way you peel, core & slice the apples, by hand, food processor or machine.