Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the way my grandma always made it...and beware, it's totally fattening but soooo good! Of course, back in the day, she made it in the old crank kind with all the ice and salt...long but fun process that I remember. Me, I have a Cuisinart 2qt electric job from Costco that I love! No ice, no salt, no muss, no fuss. Grandma's recipe as posted actually makes too much for my Cuisinart, so if you're like me, you'll have to scale it down some. Or...just make another batch!
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 -3 cups fruit, mashed (of choice)
- Mix eggs, sugar, vanilla and whipping cream.
- If adding fruit, mash up 2 or 3 cups. I love strawberries or peaches, or you can do any other kind of creative goodies -- peanut butter cups, oreo cookies, whatever. Or, just plain ol vanilla ice cream.
- Grandma says to fill the remainder of container with milk to about 2" from the top, but with my Cuisinart, I don't even have to do that!
- If you have the older fashion kind, start the freezer before adding ice and salt. Don't ask me how much, as grandma passed 8 years ago and mine doesn't require any ice or salt.
- I'm telling you, go to Costco and invest $59 -- best thing I ever did!
- With mine, after 25 minutes I have thee BEST homemade ice cream!
This is a very good recipe. This has a rich, homemade, cooked custard taste with a lot less prep time. ( Just remember to use pasteurized eggs.) This is some good eatin'! Thanks for sharing Noni, and Grandma Margaret!!!