Recipe by manushag
Great basic recipe that can be customized to suit your own taste with optional ingredients such as walnuts, pecans, waterchestnuts, browned sausage meat, mushrooms, apple chunks, diced oranges and anything your imagination can come up with. I like alot of crunch in my stuffing! Halve recipe for chicken.
- 4 ounces butter
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 10 cups bread cubes (dried)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 cup fresh celery, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and celery in melted butter, til soft, not brown.
- Sprinkle seasonings on dried bread cubes and toss.
- Turn off stove and add bread cubes to butter and vegetables and toss.
- Add chicken broth carefully and stir until all is absorbed. Should be very soft. If not, add more broth.
- Add optional ingredients. I love nuts, apples and sausage in mine.
- Chill well if using inside bird. (Never put hot stuffing in a cold bird!) Can also be baked along side bird in a baking dish for about 30 minutes or until browned on top.