Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is my Grandma Louise's recipe for a sweet potato casserole. I swear it is the best thing I have ever eaten. She makes it every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. If you are bringing this to a party, it can easily be reheated by covering it with aluminum foil, placing it in an oven at 350°F, and heating it for about 20-30 minutes or until just bubbling. Enjoy! Note: Prep time does NOT include time needed to prepate fresh sweet potatoes/yams.
- 3 large eggs
- 5 lbs fresh sweet potatoes (6 cups) or 5 lbs yams, boiled, drained, peeled and mashed (6 cups)
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, cut in small pieces
- 12 pecan halves
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Potato Mixture: Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Stir in potatoes until blended.
- Add remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Spread evenly in prepared baking dish.
- Topping: Mix sugar, flour and nuts in a medium-size bowl.
- Work in butter with hands until well blended.
- Sprinkle evenly over potato mixture.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes until topping is browned and bubbling.
- Garnish with pecan halves.
Been making this recipe for years. My daughter convinced me and so I nixed the sugar in the potato mixture as well as cutting the butter in half. Family of 10 children and 37 grandchildren like it better not so sweet. I have even omitted the eggs on occasion. Everywhere I take it is a big hit. None of the family, including extended family will eat any other and always asks for the recipe. They too seem to prefer it not so sweet. It is a great basic recipe
This was spectacular! I had a friend with a nut allergy so I nixed the pecans and flour and mixed the butter and brown sugar with honey bunches of oats cereal for the topping....it was AWESOME! Thanks so much for sharing!
I probably wouldn't put so much nutmeg and allspice in there next time. Maybe half of each amount said in recipe. Otherwise, very good!