Recipe by KellyMac6
Copied from Mireille Guiliano's French Women Don't Get Fat. This book is a great way to change the way you look at food and get more enjoyment out of your meals. This recipe in particular is extremely flavorful, but still very healthy and simple. I hope you enjoy!
Top Review by magpie diner
A good hearty dish to start the day. I wasn't so fond of the lemon in this, although I may have been heavy handed with it and added too much. Combined with my granny smith apple, I found I had to add quite a bit of brown sugar to mellow out the tartness. My mistake for using such a tart apple. I'd make again, only with a sweeter apple and less lemon. Otherwise I found the consistency was great, very creamy.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 medium apple, coarsely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the oatmeal, water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add the grated apple and lemon juice and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk and butter. Stir well and cook for 1 minute. Serve immediately, perhaps with a sprinkle of brown sugar or a drizzle of maple syrup.