Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
Copied from Mireille Guiliano's French Women Don't Get Fat. This book is a great way to change the way you look at food and get more enjoyment out of your meals. This recipe in particular is extremely flavorful, but still very healthy and simple. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 medium apple, coarsely grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon butter
- Combine the oatmeal, water and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Add the grated apple and lemon juice and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the milk and butter. Stir well and cook for 1 minute. Serve immediately, perhaps with a sprinkle of brown sugar or a drizzle of maple syrup.
A good hearty dish to start the day. I wasn't so fond of the lemon in this, although I may have been heavy handed with it and added too much. Combined with my granny smith apple, I found I had to add quite a bit of brown sugar to mellow out the tartness. My mistake for using such a tart apple. I'd make again, only with a sweeter apple and less lemon. Otherwise I found the consistency was great, very creamy.
I doubled this, left the skin on the apples and left out the butter. Swirled vanilla yoghurt through to serve and it was delicious. Made for Potluck Tag Game.
I made it for my son and he liked it. He ate it with brown sugar on top. I tasted it and the taste is really good. I omitted the lemon juice and butter. Thanks Kelly :) Made for Potluck tag game