Handwritten recipe from my grandma dated 1961. She made amazing shortbread and sold it at fetes and other markets. This is her original recipe.
- In a larbe bowl, beat the butter until light, thick and airy.
- Add the sugar, vanilla and corn flour, beat again - at a low speed, it will go every where otherwise.
- Sift in the plain flour and stir to incorporate.
- Seperate into two equal parts.
- Roll into logs using foil to cover.
- Refridgerate for 30 minutes (or until firm, freezer would do this faster I guess).
- Remove from fridge and foil, cut each log into 15 slices.
- Bake on lined trays.
- Bake at 150oC for 20-30 minutes until golden.
- Once out of the oven, cool for 5 minutes on the tray.
- Remove to airer and sift extra icing sugar over the top and let cool completely.
- Note - these logs can be frozen (upto a month) or refridgerated (for upto a week) ready for use. If frozen, bring be sure that they are thawed prior to baking.
Delicious!! These made wonderful cookies for my DD party. Made for ZWT8.
These cookies are tender like shortbread, but sweet like sugar cookies.