Recipe by ttreber
My Grandma-in-law brought this recipe with her when she moved from Alberta, Canada many years ago to "the States." It is a staple at Christmas, and a very rich, special dessert.
Bottom Layer Crust
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup coconut flakes
Middle Layer white icing
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon custard powder (Byrd's)
Top Layer chocolate icing
- 2 baking chocolate squares
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir butter, sugar, and cocoa till smooth.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Heat in a double boiler until melted.
- Remove heat adn add crumbs and coconut.
- Mix well and spread in a 9x12 pan.
- Let cool- this is the crust layer.
- Mix the butter, powdered sugar and custard powder with a little milk until smooth.
- This is the icing middle layer.
- Melt 2 squared of baking chocolated with 1 Tablespoon of butter
- Pour over the top.
- Refrigerate till firm, cut and serve.
- Must be kept in the fridge.