Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I always loved my mother's vegetable beef soup and enjoy making it myself. The only change I've had to make is to use beef shank or stew meat in place of the soup bone that she always used. It still tastes the same!! Mom passed away in 2006. My niece and her husband recently had a baby girl that they named after Mom. I made a pot of this soup to take to them and printed out a copy of the recipe for them. I'm posting it here so as not to lose it and for anyone who would enjoy a hearty, filling soup.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb beef shank or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb stewing beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup celery, diced in larger pieces
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup carrot, cut into large chunks
- 2 -3 cups potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 3 -4 cups beef broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1⁄3 cup elbow macaroni
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot brown beef chunks hot and fast till nicely browned. Season with a bit of salt and pepper if desired. Turn down the heat and add 1/2 cup onion and the garlic. Saute till onion is tender. Add celery, carrots, the rest of the onion, tomato soup and beef broth. Bring to a boil and then simmer 15-20 minutes. Add potatoes and cook on low another 15 minutes. Add the macaroni and simmer till macaroni is done, about 10-15 minutes. Do not boil with the macaroni in it or the pasta will fall apart.
- Serve with a great crusty bread or crackers.
Even though temps are soaring, that didn't stop us from enjoying this delicious soup for lunch. So easy to prepare, and the tomato soup/beef broth makes a nice flavored base. Other than adding about a tsp. of salt, followed directions to a T, and wouldn't change a thing. This will go into our soup rotation. Thanks for sharing your mom's filling soup recipe--Happy July 4th, catsoplenty!