Recipe by Mom2J&A
I got this recipe from my aunt. It is one of the meals my grandma made often. Originally the recipe omitted the bacon. If your watching your cholesterol, this might not be for you. ;)
Top Review by Merlot
Oh my, is THIS ever good! It is very similar to my mother's recipe except she didn't add ground beef to it. We LOVED the ground beef in it. Great comfort food, Mom2J&A. Thanks so much for sharing. This dish will definitely make a repeat performance in this household.....YUM!
- 1 head cabbage
- 5 -7 red potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash potatoes and cabbage.
- Shred cabbage into bite size pieces.
- Peel and slice potatoes.
- Peel onion and dice.
- Cut bacon into bite size pieces.
- Heat frying pan and add the butter or vegetable oil for frying. (I use butter for frying, but everyone has different tastes.) Add the bacon and let fry for just a couple minutes.
- Then add potatoes, onion, and cabbage to the pan.Season with salt and pepper. Stir every 5-10 mins so it does not stick.
- While bacon, potatoes, onion, and cabbage is cooking, in a separate skillet fry the pound of ground beef until no pink is no longer visible. Drain. (I do this separately to lessen the grease).
- Check potatoes and cabbage to see if they are done.I like to have my potatoes and cabbage brown a bit. Depending on how many potatoes and cabbage you use, cooking time varies, but usually about half an hour. Once everything is cooked, add the ground beef and serve.