Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
My grandma made a mean Sloppy Joe in her day, and here is her recipe. You may be wrinkling up your nose at the odd ingredient...chicken gumbo soup. Honestly, it's what makes this recipe so good!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (can use ground chicken or turkey, instead)
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) can chicken gumbo soup, undiluted
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, Seeded and Diced
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- hamburger bun
- In large pan, brown and drain beef.
- Add onion, green peppers and garlic.
- Saute 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add chili sauce, soup, mustard, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Can make ahead. Freezes well.
This is a great recipe. There's nothing wrong with the other posted sloppy joe recipes that use chicen gumbo soup along with ketchup as ingredients - BUT this one, with chili sauce, worcestershire sauce and brown sugar - make it tops for us. Thank-you for posting.