This recipe came from Whitefish, Montana and was given to me years ago by a dear friend. It had been passed down from her family for generations. I love the fragrance and flavor of lemons. This is by far the easiest and best tasting lemon bar I have come across. I have made it for bake sales, gifts, and simply to serve, and I always have requests for the recipe.
- 473.18 ml flour
- 236.59 ml butter, softened
- 118.29 ml powdered sugar
- 4 eggs
- 88.74 ml lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 88.74 ml flour
- 473.18 ml granulated sugar
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 473.18 ml finely shredded coconut
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 29.58 ml lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 709.77 ml powdered sugar (or more if needed to create spreading consistency)
- For Crust: In medium sized bowl, stir together flour and powdered sugar.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or the tines of two forks. Press into greased 10x15x1 pan. Bake in 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
- For Filling: Beat together eggs, lemon juice, zest and juice of fresh lemon, flour, sugar, baking powder and coconut. Mix well and pour over hot crust. Return pan to oven and bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack.
- For Frosting: Beat together butter, lemon juice, vanilla and powdered sugar. Spread over filling when cool.
- Cut into bars & serve. Store covered.