Recipe by clowneygirl
My great grandma's recipe and the best BBQ chicken our family has ever had. No BBQ sauce required. We usually just use leg and thigh quarters but any part of the chicken can be used. Cook time is time chicken is cooked in sauce, not grilling time.
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
I used boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe that I had tagged for the July Grilling & BBQ photo forum challenge, but when the propane ran out just as we were about to put the chicken on, I knew we'd end up making the recipe twice. The first time we ended up cooking the chicken the rest of the way on the stove & in the sauce. Then I shredded it & added it to a noodle & veggie stir fry. It tasted great but was a little dry from all the cooking. The second time I decided to cook the chicken only 10 minutes on the stove in the sauce then marinated it in the fridge for about 7 hours. We put it on the BBQ & the finished product had a tangy & smokey "BBQ sauce" flavor, but without the drippy, messy sauce. I was truly amazed because the all stove-cooked batch tasted like vinegar & worcestershire marinated chicken. The BBQ brought out the best in all the ingredients without any of them overpowering another. The chicken was much more moist this time & because I did a double batch we ate the leftovers today for lunch. Excellent tasting & very easy no-mess BBQ chicken! This will be a great recipe to take camping. I like to make a lot of things while at home & then vacuum pack them for use while in the trailer. This chicken in sauce will be perfect. I can't wait to try it with a skin-on fryer chicken. Thanks for sharing your family recipe, clowneygirl! We'll be enjoying it again!
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 3 teaspoons pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 pieces chicken
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan mix all ingredients. If making more than 3 pieces of chicken you'll want to make enough sauce to cover the chicken. We've tripled and even quadrupled the recipe before.
- Place cleaned chicken pieces in the pan.
- Cook for 20 mins at medium temperature.
- Leaving chicken in the sauce place in refrigerator until ready to grill. We have grilled immediately but it's always better if allowed to sit in the sauce. The longer the better. We often leave it over night before grilling.
- It's usually a good idea to place foil on the grill rather than cooking directly. The chicken is so tender it sometimes tends to fall apart. Don't want to lose any down in the grill.
- Grill until no pink left on the chicken.