Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I am not sure if this ever won a prize with anyone but us.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 3⁄4 cup oats, uncooked
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients; mix well.
- Press firmly into ungreased 8x4x2 inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour in 350* oven.
- Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- For Hamburgers: Omit egg; reduce tomato juice to ½ cup. Shape into 8 patties.
- For Meatballs: Omit tomato juice and egg; add 2/3 cup milk. Shape into 16 meatballs. Brown in large skillet in small amount of oil. Drain. Combine 1 – 12oz can tomato paste, 1 cup water, 1 ½ tsp oregano leaves and 1 tsp salt. Add to meatballs; simmer 30 minutes. 8 servings.
from nicki thelen so its relly old it make 8 servings really good
This is pretty much the same recipe I have been making for years, from Quaker Oats box. It is great comfort food. I used half ground turkey/half ground beef for less fat. I also added a splash of worcestershire sauce with the tomato juice.
This is a very tasty meatloaf. I think I will use dried breadcrumbs in place of the oats, personal preference. It turned out very moist.