Recipe by Little Mama Dia
This is an old German recipe from my Christel/Herman family in Wisconsin. It's an excellent herby-sweet side that's somewhere in between stuffing and bread pudding. With allspice, apricots and raisins your kitchen will have that wonderful Holiday smell :) I usually use much less sugar as we're not big on sweets in our house.
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- 1 cup dried apricot, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb melted butter
- 10 ounces cubed prepared stuffing (Mrs. Cubbinson's, Herb Flavored)
- 1 1⁄2 cups heated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 beaten egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl mix stuffing, melted butter, and milk.
- Add sugar and allspice. Stir in raisins, apricots, and eggs.
- Let stand until mixture is absorbed.
- Bake in greased, covered casserole at 350°F for about 1 hour. Keep a good watch on it to make sure it doesn't over brown. Test center to ensure egg is cooked thoroughly.