This is an Italian Christmas Tradition. This is my moms family recipe and is tried and true. It is quite festive and makes a nice holiday gift too.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 fluid ounce whiskey (rye, bourbon, or Canadian is fine but not Scotch)
- 3 cups honey (Traditionaly we have always used Golden Blossom brand if not available use pure clover honey)
- oil (for deep frying) or shortening (for deep frying)
- multi colored sprinkles (These are the little round hard sprinkles rather than the soft elongated ones used on ice cream cone)
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add all liquid ingredients (Except honey) to dry to form a dough.
- Knead dough well to incorporate all ingredients.
- For balls roll dough out in 1/4 inch round strips like pencils.
- Cut the pieces at small intervals with an angle cut.
- How far apart you make the cut is your judgment call, as the smaller the spacing the smaller the balls and vice versa.
- Mom likes the look leaving them as is with the angle cut giving a unique shape to the balls as they fry.
- If you prefer perfectly rounded balls, you can roll the pieces in the palms of your hands like miniature meatballs before frying.
- For ribbons cut some of the dough in flat strips about 1/2 inch wide preferably using a crimped edge cutting wheel as it gives a fancy serrated edge to them.
- Form loops or bow shapes with the ribbons and deep fry balls and ribbons separately until golden brown (ribbons as they are flat will cook quicker than the balls).
- Drain on absorbent paper.
- Heat honey in a deep pot until it starts to thin out and become pourable.
- Remove from heat.
- Dip bows and ribbons in warm honey and set aside.
- Add balls to the honey and toss to coat.
- Transfer balls to holiday platter and top with the ribbons and bows.
- Or you can mound the balls to look like a Christmas tree and decorate with bows on the sides.
- Sprinkle with multi colored sprinkles.