1/2 Photos of Grandma Helen's Struffoli
This is an Italian Christmas Tradition. This is my moms family recipe and is tried and true. It is quite festive and makes a nice holiday gift too.
My Private Note
Large H ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 fluid ounce whiskey (rye, bourbon, or Canadian is fine but not Scotch)
- 3 cups honey (Traditionaly we have always used Golden Blossom brand if not available use pure clover honey)
- oil (for deep frying) or shortening (for deep frying)
- multi colored sprinkles (These are the little round hard sprinkles rather than the soft elongated ones used on ice cream cone)
- 1Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- 2Add all liquid ingredients (Except honey) to dry to form a dough.
- 3Knead dough well to incorporate all ingredients.
- 4For balls roll dough out in 1/4 inch round strips like pencils.
- 5Cut the pieces at small intervals with an angle cut.
- 6How far apart you make the cut is your judgment call, as the smaller the spacing the smaller the balls and vice versa.
- 7Mom likes the look leaving them as is with the angle cut giving a unique shape to the balls as they fry.
- 8If you prefer perfectly rounded balls, you can roll the pieces in the palms of your hands like miniature meatballs before frying.
- 9For ribbons cut some of the dough in flat strips about 1/2 inch wide preferably using a crimped edge cutting wheel as it gives a fancy serrated edge to them.
- 10Form loops or bow shapes with the ribbons and deep fry balls and ribbons separately until golden brown (ribbons as they are flat will cook quicker than the balls).
- 11Drain on absorbent paper.
- 12Heat honey in a deep pot until it starts to thin out and become pourable.
- 13Remove from heat.
- 14Dip bows and ribbons in warm honey and set aside.
- 15Add balls to the honey and toss to coat.
- 16Transfer balls to holiday platter and top with the ribbons and bows.
- 17Or you can mound the balls to look like a Christmas tree and decorate with bows on the sides.
- 18Sprinkle with multi colored sprinkles.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma Helen's Struffoli
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 386.6
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 42.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 73.9 g
- Protein 4.5 g