I found this adaptation of a recipe from Penzeys Spices catalog in my local paper's food section. Yum, yum!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large eggs
- 18.92 ml sugar
- 473.18 ml fresh pumpkin puree or 473.18 ml canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 236.59 ml vegetable oil or 236.59 ml canola oil
- 12.32 ml pumpkin pie spice (or 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice and ground ginger)
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 473.18 ml flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts or 118.29 ml pecans
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 325 degrees if using a Pyrex Glass pan
- 2Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or two 8- or 9-inch round cake pans.
- 3In medium bowl with electric mixer, beat eggs until frothy.
- 4Add sugar, pumpkin, oil, spice and vanilla.
- 5Beat on low speed until combined, then increase to medium speed.
- 6Beat 1 minute.
- 7Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; beat on low speed for 2 minutes.
- 8Add nuts and stir to combine.
- 9Pour into baking pan.
- 10Bake on center rack for about 40 minutes (30 to 35 minutes for layers) until cake is golden brown and top springs back when lightly pressed.
- 11Let cool in pan on rack for at least 1 hour before frosting.
- 12(For a layer cake, let cool 15 minutes, remove cake from pans and let cool completely before frosting.) For frosting: Beat butter and cream cheese with electric mixer until fluffy.
- 13Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla and beat on low speed until fluffy.
- 14Add more powdered sugar if necessary to make a stiffer frosting.
- 15Store cake in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma Helen's Pumpkin Cake
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.3
- Calories from Fat 300
- Total Fat 33.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 98.6 mg
- Sodium 362.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 5.8 g