Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a family recipe passed down from my German Grandmother, everyone has made a little adjustments along the way and it's only improved as it's evolved.
- 4 apples, diced (Fuji preferred)
- 3 bananas, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup grapes, halved (seedless, red or green- it doesn't matter)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (avoid Miracle whip)
- 3⁄4 cup miniature marshmallow
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, granulated
- 1⁄3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop walnuts into small pieces and place on a baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment paper (otherwise it gets messy later for clean-up). Pour water over walnuts and distribute evenly. Slowly add sugar to coat all walnut pieces and then bake in the oven for roughly 15 minute or until the sugar mix starts to borwn a little. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Core and Dice apples, place in a large mixing bowl. Add Banana slices, Grapes (halved or quartered) and then add lemon juice to prevent browning. Add marshmallows and mayonnaise.
- Once cooled break the "candied" walnuts in to little bite-sized pieces and add to bowl. Mix all together and enjoy! 1 Serving should be roughly 3/4 cup.
- *Alternate addition- if you prefer you can add 1/2 cup chopped Celery. Personally, I get enough crunch from the apples, but your taste may vary.