Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got the recipe a week ago from my Grandma Geri before she went back home to NJ. This recipe is so delicious and easy. As I write this on here I am making them on my stove right now. You can use several different types of meat in this dish. The best to use is smoked turkey neck. You can buy it in the store. I am using Turkey bacon but regular bacon is just as good! And you MUST MUST MUST use Lawry's seasoned salt. If you don't have coarse salt that is ok. Let me know what you think of this recipe!
- Rinse your collard greens with water in a collander.
- Make sure you let the water drain out of you collard greens as much as possible. Too much water in your pot will ruin your greens.
- In a stock pot add Oive Oil, Onion, Green pepper, and Turkey bacon (or your choice of turkey or pork).
- Set your heat to low medium and put the lid on for 2 two minutes at this temperature and then drop your heat to low. Add in yor garlic very quickly and put the lid on immediately.
- After three to five minutes open the lid and stir aroud everything.
- Grab your collander of collard greens (that by now should be fairly dry but give them a shake to make sure). Add about half of your collard greens and stir everything together. This is so your olive oil will circulate itself within the greens.
- Add Salt, Pepper and Lawry's Seasoned Salt.
- Stir everything a little bit more and finish adding in the greens just stirring for a minute to incorporate everything.
- Put the lid back on and you're going to let this cook. Occasionally stirring maybe everything 20-30 minutes. Just keep an eye on it.
- Your greens are finished cooking when they have wilted down completely. Your onions will be translucent. You will not see any or many pieces of garlic. There will be some liquid in your stock pot from the greens. DO NOT ADD ANY WATER TO THEM. It should take about an hour and thirty minutes to two hours. to cook.
These collards were great. The Lawery's made the difference. Onions and garlic added gave them a new dimension.I used pork bacon. Made for New Kids on the Block. Will be made again.