I don't know where my mother learned to make this macaroni salad, but it is a multi generation family favorite. And it is so simple! The only family get togethers where we don't make this are Thanksgiving and Christmas. I think my father would dis-own my sister and me if one of us didn't make it for Easter! It always disappears when taken to pot-lucks and picnics. There is no mustard in it, and it is the only macaroni salad my dad will eat. My mom used to use regular tuna packed in oil, but I now use solid white albacore packed in water, whole wheat pasta and canola oil mayo in an effort to "lighten it up". Prep time includes 2 hours cool time.
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni, cooked al-dente, and completely cooled
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tuna
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise, do not use salad dressing
- 2 large kosher dill pickles, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- salt and black pepper
- fresh dill sprig (optional)
- hard-boiled egg (optional)
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions for al dente doneness.
- Drain and immediately plunge into very cold water to stop any further cooking.
- Drain the tuna, and coarsely crumble into the drained and cooled macaroni.
- Gently stir in about 1/2 cup of the mayonnaise.
- Add the pickles, celery and dried dill.
- Stir again gently adding more mayonnaise until desired coverage is achieved. (I don't like it dry, but it shouldn't be "soupy").
- Add salt and pepper to taste, again gently stirring inches.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
- If the salad looks a bit dry, you can add a bit more mayonnaise right before serving.
- Garnish with fresh dill and sliced eggs if using.
This was really good. I didn't use the pickles and celery but I added garlic powder and onion. Very yummy! It gave me a great base to work with. I never knew how much of what to put in before. Thanks! Mandi
This salad is great! Love the dill pickles and dried dill in it. The only thing I changed was instead of salt and pepper, I added 2 tsp. of Nature's Seasons seasoning.
very good. I added some red bell pepper, jalepeno, and curry because I had no fresh dill !