Recipe by QueenJellyBean
My grandma used to make these. She made huge cookies and we used to get so excited when we knew she was making cookies! These have been a favorite for years. The sour cream makes the cookies soft and the extra extract makes them stand out from "regular" sugar cookies. Sometimes I substitute lemon extract for the almond extract.
- 2 cups shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 6 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together shortening, sugar and salt.
- Add eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Add sour cream,soda, almond extract and vanilla - mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the flour 1 to 2 cups at a time.
- Round into balls, roll in sugar and flatten with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes until edges are a light golden brown.
- It will make 4-8 dozen depending on the size of cookie you make. You can sprinkle decorating sugars on top for a decorated touch.