120 hrs 30 mins
This is a sauerbraten recipe my mom cooked for special guests and events. It seemed like she was in the kitchen forever getting it ready; so, I've updated it to save on time. This dish is really very easy. I haven't changed any of her original ingredients, just the way it's cooked. Now, we have this rich dish for friends and family and they always rave about how delicious it is. This dish is great served with egg noodles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine onions, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves, vinegar, and water.
- 2Arrange meat in a covered earthenware or Tupperware container and pour pickling solution over the top of the meat.
- 3Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for 3-4 days (the longer it marinades, the more flavor soaks into the meat).
- 4Turn the meat once or twice a day.
- 5Remove the meat from the solution and pat dry.
- 6Remove and discard the bay leaves and peppercorns.
- 7Strain and reserve the onions.
- 8Put a little oil (I like to go light, if I can, and use extra virgin olive oil or Canola, but you can use a couple of tablespoons of butter) in a skillet and heat and cook reserved onions until they are transparent, but not brown.
- 9Remove onions and brown meat on all sides in the same oil.
- 10Place onions and meat in a slow cooker/crock pot and fill the crock pot with a cup of the pickling solution.
- 11Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until the meat is cooked through and tender.
- 12When meat is done, remove to a warm platter and cover to keep warm.
- 13Add any remaining marinade to a skillet.
- 14Add brown sugar, raisins, crumbled ginger snaps (I pound these out in a Ziploc bag to crush them).
- 15Stir and cook until the sauce is smooth and has thickened--about 15-20 minutes.
- 16Serve the sauce over the slices of meat and put the remainder of the sauce in a gravy boat.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma Fritz's Sauerbraten (For the Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 894.1
- Calories from Fat 540
- Total Fat 60.0 g
- Saturated Fat 24.1 g
- Cholesterol 208.6 mg
- Sodium 1399.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 15.2 g
- Protein 57.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: