Recipe by Tom Lambie
A wonderful German dish, that has been passed down from my grandmother to my mother and now to me. The trick to this recipe is not to stir the bacon & cream mixture, let it reduce in size and foam. This will cut the grease from the bacon into the cream and it will not separate later on.
Top Review by Teresa M
Wow Tom, this IS a great recipe for German Potato Salad! I didn't even expect it to be as good as it is, but the bacony flavor is just wonderful, I love the dressing. I did add 1/2 cup of diced celery for crunch, and 1/2 dozen chopped eggs and it was perfect for us. It was really good without the celery and eggs, this is just my family's preferences. Thank-you for the Excellent recipe! We Will be making this one again!
- 5 lbs red potatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- salt and pepper
- 3 lbs diced bacon, raw
- 1 pint half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook potatoes until tender but not mushy.
- Peel and dice into a large bowl.
- Add the onion, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Mix together and set aside for one hour.
- Brown the bacon until crisp, pour off half the grease.
- Add the half & half, DO NOT STIR THIS, LET IF BOIL UNTIL ALL FOAMY.
- When the bacon and half & half is all foamy pour over potato mixture and stir.
- Serve this at room temperature or just a slight bit warm.
- DO NOT HEAT TO THE BOILING POINT, YOU WILL BOIL THE VINEGAR OUT OF THE RECIPE.