Prep 2 hrs 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
A wonderful German dish, that has been passed down from my grandmother to my mother and now to me. The trick to this recipe is not to stir the bacon & cream mixture, let it reduce in size and foam. This will cut the grease from the bacon into the cream and it will not separate later on.
- 5 lbs red potatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- salt and pepper
- 3 lbs diced bacon, raw
- 1 pint half-and-half
- Cook potatoes until tender but not mushy.
- Peel and dice into a large bowl.
- Add the onion, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Mix together and set aside for one hour.
- Brown the bacon until crisp, pour off half the grease.
- Add the half & half, DO NOT STIR THIS, LET IF BOIL UNTIL ALL FOAMY.
- When the bacon and half & half is all foamy pour over potato mixture and stir.
- Serve this at room temperature or just a slight bit warm.
- DO NOT HEAT TO THE BOILING POINT, YOU WILL BOIL THE VINEGAR OUT OF THE RECIPE.
Wow Tom, this IS a great recipe for German Potato Salad! I didn't even expect it to be as good as it is, but the bacony flavor is just wonderful, I love the dressing. I did add 1/2 cup of diced celery for crunch, and 1/2 dozen chopped eggs and it was perfect for us. It was really good without the celery and eggs, this is just my family's preferences. Thank-you for the Excellent recipe! We Will be making this one again!
Wow a great recipe for German Potato Salad. I tryed many a recipe and this one is the best I have ever had.