Recipe by plove53
My Grandmother use to make this quick mock-potroast. I think it is very good!!! Great one pan plan.
Top Review by mums the word
This was absolutely beautiful! One of the best beef dinners I have ever made. I got a great deal on chuck steaks but didn't know how to cook them. I asked some of the chefs in the "Community Cafe" how they cook it and some of their methods were similar to your Granny's.
The only thing I did differently was to cook it on the stove top for 45 minutes then put it in the oven at 300F for another 1 1/4 hrs as we had to run out to a hockey game. The meat was tender and full of flavour - we ate til we dang near popped! Thanks so much for this great recipe, it is going in my "favourites" book! I've attached a photo for you.
- 1 lb chuck steak (fryer, 1 inch thick)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 onion
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 carrots
- 2 celery
- 1 garlic clove
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a frying pan; add oil; fry the steak a minute on both sides.
- Add vinegar, add any salt, add the onions and let them fry a couple of minutes.
- Add a little water (just enough to cover bottom of pan).
- Add carrots, celery, garlic, and any salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer; cover and cook for 45 minutes to 1-1/2 hours.
- Only remove the cover to see if you need to add water.