Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
These Baked Beans are without a doubt the most flavorful beans I have ever tasted. This recipe came from my wife’s grandmother. Be patient with cooking these beans. Do not stop cooking until they turn very dark. When the cooking process is complete, the onions and bacon will have completely dissolved into the sauce.
- 1 1⁄2 cups small white beans or 1 1⁄2 cups navy beans
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 3 small onions
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Cover the beans with cold water and let soak overnight.
- Drain and cover the beans with fresh water.Boil the beans for one hour or until the jackets burst.Drain and reserve the liquid for basting during bake cycle.
- Cook the bacon until crispy but not burnt. Crumble the cooked bacon to make bacon bits. Dice the onions and sauté in the butter until clear.
- Add the cooked bacon bits to sautéed onions, and then mix everything together in a large bowl. Place mixed ingredients in a clay pot cooker (any covered OVEN SAFE pot will work)and cover. Bake at 350° until beans are cooked. Some basting with the reserved liquid may be required during bake cycle.
- Note: YOU CAN OMIT THE BACON IF YOU LIKE; THE FLAVOR IS STILL GREAT…. ALSO YOU CAN TRIPLE THE RECIPE IF YOU USE TWO POUNDS OF BEANS…. ANY BAKEWARE WILL WORK AS LONG AS YOU COOK THE INGREDIENTS LONG ENOUGH…. WHEN FINISHED THEY SHOULD BE VERY DARK IN COLOR AND NOT RUNNY WITH LIQUID. I HAVE COOKED THE LARGE BATCH OVERNIGHT @ 250° STIRING EVERY TWO HOURS OR SO…THIS IS MY PREFERED METHOD.