Recipe by Ms. Baker
It's a bold statement, but in my opinion --- There has been no Snickerdoodle yet to top Grandma D's Snickerdoodles. I've tried a dozen variations. These are famous in our family for good reason.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Mix together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar and eggs.
- Blend in flour, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt.
- Shape the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into balls (I make the balls larger than that. The bigger the ball, the bigger your cookie.)
- Mix the 2 teaspoons sugar and the 2 teaspoons cinnamon together.
- Roll the balls in the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Place the balls 2-3 inches apart (depending on size) on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set.
- Immediately remove from the baking sheet.