It's a bold statement, but in my opinion --- There has been no Snickerdoodle yet to top Grandma D's Snickerdoodles. I've tried a dozen variations. These are famous in our family for good reason.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Mix together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar and eggs.
- Blend in flour, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt.
- Shape the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls into balls (I make the balls larger than that. The bigger the ball, the bigger your cookie.)
- Mix the 2 teaspoons sugar and the 2 teaspoons cinnamon together.
- Roll the balls in the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Place the balls 2-3 inches apart (depending on size) on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set.
- Immediately remove from the baking sheet.
I also thought these cookies were very good as did the rest of my family. Made for Fall 2009 PAC.
OH MY!!!!!! I am on Weight Watchers and these cookies are just not a good thing for me. They are irresistable!!! I added a teaspoon of vanilla to my creamed ingredients just because I like vanilla and reduced the cooking time to 6 minutes (I live in a high altitude area so 8-10 minutes was a bit too much) and WOW!! What a great cookie! We will have these every year (ok I can cheat a little for the holidays!). I think these are the best cookies I have ever made! EVER!
These are the best Snickerdoodles that you will ever taste. My family asks for them every time I pull out the ol" cookie pan. The kids love to make and roll the balls in the cinnamon mixture. No one left the house until the cookies were finished and they got some. Thank you Grandma D and Bless You. Thank you Mrs. mix what with what for posting it.