Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This has been our family's favorite recipe for Thanksgiving for over 100 years, straight from old Kentucky. The breads can be prepared 2-3 days ahead and left in oven to dry. I use Jiffy Instant Mix though it is sweet corn bread. The celery and onions can be diced and left in the refrigerator the day before. The seasonings can be mixed together the day before.
- 5 cups bread cubes, lightly toasted
- 7 cups unsweetened cornbread cubes, lightly toasted
- 5 tablespoons dried onion (or l 1/4 c fresh onion)
- 3 cups celery, diced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sage
- 3⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 lb butter, melted
- 2 -3 cups chicken broth (Make some broth from giblets, neck and bay leaf, if desired)
- Mix breads and seasonings together.
- Moisten lightly with butter and 2 cups broth. Another cup of broth may have to be used, but keep dressing on the dry side.
- Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.