This has been our family's favorite recipe for Thanksgiving for over 100 years, straight from old Kentucky. The breads can be prepared 2-3 days ahead and left in oven to dry. I use Jiffy Instant Mix though it is sweet corn bread. The celery and onions can be diced and left in the refrigerator the day before. The seasonings can be mixed together the day before.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups bread cubes, lightly toasted
- 7 cups unsweetened cornbread cubes, lightly toasted
- 5 tablespoons dried onion (or l 1/4 c fresh onion)
- 3 cups celery, diced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sage
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 lb butter, melted
- 2 -3 cups chicken broth (Make some broth from giblets, neck and bay leaf, if desired)
- 1Mix breads and seasonings together.
- 2Moisten lightly with butter and 2 cups broth. Another cup of broth may have to be used, but keep dressing on the dry side.
- 3Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.
Browse Our Top 3 Steps Or Less Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grandma Crowell's Cornbread Stuffing/Dressing
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 192.6
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 937.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: