Recipe by lizziann
This has been our family's favorite recipe for Thanksgiving for over 100 years, straight from old Kentucky. The breads can be prepared 2-3 days ahead and left in oven to dry. I use Jiffy Instant Mix though it is sweet corn bread. The celery and onions can be diced and left in the refrigerator the day before. The seasonings can be mixed together the day before.
Top Review by TX_mom_3
After scouring the internet for weeks prior to Thanksgiving, I chose this recipe for the big day. This was my first time making dressing that wasn't from a pre-made mix, and I want to say that my family absolutely loved it! It was exactly what we wanted. I used homemade cornbread and homemade biscuits for the additional bread, and I sauteed the celery and onion prior to putting it into the dressing. Also, I used some extra sage as my husband really likes it. Thank you, lizziann, for the wonderful recipe.
- 5 cups bread cubes, lightly toasted
- 7 cups unsweetened cornbread cubes, lightly toasted
- 5 tablespoons dried onion (or l 1/4 c fresh onion)
- 3 cups celery, diced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sage
- 3⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 lb butter, melted
- 2 -3 cups chicken broth (Make some broth from giblets, neck and bay leaf, if desired)