Recipe by Julie Leo
This is a old family recipe. Grandma would use strawberry jelly.
Top Review by waynejohn1234
Finally a jelly roll recipe that is excellent and does not taste dry (or crack, dear forbid). I learned to make these many, many years ago and this is still a popular dessert - just not made by many people because they think they are difficult. So many variations when it comes to fillings - use your imagination. Do need to be eaten fresh tho.
- 4 eggs, seperated
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup shifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- jelly, of choice
- 1 -3 teaspoon confectioners' sugar, to dust
Directions See How It's Made
- beat yolks.
- Add sugar and water mix well
- Add flour, salt, baking powder and extract mix well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff enough to stand in peaks.
- Then fold into the rest.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Grease large baking sheet/jellyroll sheet.
- Bake until sponge is golden and springs to the touch.
- Turn out on cloth dusted with Confectioners sugar.
- Using the cloth as an aid, roll up the cake. Let cool. Unroll and Spread with jelly and reroll and trim the ends.
- Place on platter.