Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was always the sponge cake of my childhood served with strawberries and whipped cream at Easter time.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup milk, boiled
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat eggs until light.
- Beat in sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Beat in milk and butter.
- Add dry ingredients very quickly and pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until toothpick placed in middle comes out clean.
- Serve with strawberries and whipped cream.
This cake is so yummy. I made half of it in a round pan. It was great with a puree of fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Thanks Viki :) Made for Cookbook tag game
I made this for dessert on Easter this year and thought that it was really very good. I have never made a cake quite like this before and so glad that I came across it. We did serve with homemade whipped cream and strawberries.
We really enjoyed this quick and easy to make sponge cake Viki. It was beautiful; tall, fluffy, light, tender, had a great crumb and was delicious. I did serve the cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. I shared this wonderful large cake with my neighbors. They loved it also...A big 5*'s from all of us.