Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is luscious and gooey. Besides that its simple, inexpensive, and gets better with age. Grandma Campbell made it for the grandkids, and couldn't remember how long it had been in the family.
- Melt butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs, flour and milk.
- The recipes says 1/2 cup milk, but Grandma added"OR until of batter consistency" at the bottom.
- Then add vanilla.
- Bake in 4 greased and floured 9 inch pans at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes, as the layers should be about 1/2 inch thick when done.
- Melt the apple jelly.
- Pour 3 ounces of jelly over each layer as they are stacked.
- Sometimes I also frost the sides with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting, or serve the cake warm with whipped cream.
This recipe didn't work for me. The cake was very, very dense. However, because it wasn't too sweet, it was a good breakfast addition with coffee.