Recipe by Gerry
This was my grandma's favorite waffle recipe. It has become a family favorite enjoyed on special occasions not only by her grandchildren but great-great grandchildren as well. The clipping is yellow with age clipped I suspect from the local daily paper many many years ago.
Top Review by Bonnie Young
Gerry this is a great waffle recipe. Nice and crisp and tasty. Only thing I changed was to add a teaspoon of vanilla. My DH loves waffles so this will be a nice breakfast tomorrow. Thanks.
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sour milk (note below) or 2 cups buttermilk (note below)
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 3⁄4 cup melted margarine (I use margarine or butter) or 3⁄4 cup salad oil (I use margarine or butter)
Directions See How It's Made
- note: if you do not have sour milk or buttermilk measure 2 tablespoons vinegar into your 2-cup measuring cup and fill to the two-cup mark with sweet milk and let it stand while you prepare other ingredients.
- Sift together: 2 cups all-purpose flour 3 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt.
- Combine: 2 cups sour milk or butter milk 4 eggs well beaten Add the milk and eggs to dry ingredients,beat until smooth with a hand mixer or electric mixer on high speed.
- Stir in 3/4 cup melted margarine or salad oil.
- Bake in preheated waffle iron until crisp and golden.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.