Recipe by jackalope-eye
This recipe is a family favorite. Grandma B made this every year on Christmas morning and it is now a tradition in my house. I make the casserole the night before and let it sit in the fridge over night. In the morning I pop it in the oven and cook up the bacon or sausage while it cooks. Super easy and super delish. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 loaf white bread or 1 loaf sourdough bread
- 1 dozen egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cube loaf of bread into 1 inch squares with bread knife and set aside. Beat dozen eggs in large mixing bowl adding in milk, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Add bread to egg mixture and stir well making sure the bread absorbs all of the egg mixture. Grease a 9x11 glass casserole dish with softened butter. Spread bread mixture into dish evenly. Press 1 inch cubed cream cheese into casserole randomly throughout the dish.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Viola. Top with your favorite syrup and enjoy.