Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
A tried and true favorite for family get-togethers.
- 1 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm water
- 4 eggs
- 7 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1 cup cold water
- Cream together shortening, sugar, and salt.
- Add boiling water and stir until mixture is smooth; let cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water and add to shortening mixture.
- Beat eggs and add to mixture.
- Add flour alternately with cold water until dough is well combined and smooth.
- Lightly grease top of dough and cover bowl tightly.
- Place in refrigerator overnight.
- Arrange on greased pans and let raise until double (about 2 hours).
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minute.