Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Grandma Maxine's yummy cinnamon apples. A family favorite!
Make and share this Grandma Black's Red Cinnamon Apples recipe from Food.com.
- Put sugar, water, red hots and food coloring in a large, deep pan over medium low heat to dissolve sugar. Stir occasionally.
- Peel and core the apples. My grandmother cut them in half, but they can also be left whole. Remove all seeds carefully. Rinse the apples.
- Place the apples in the pan and increase temperature to medium so it will come to a boil. Turn apples from time to time, so they cook evenly. Once they reach a boil, cook for approximately 30 minutes.
- The apples become brighter red as they cook. The texture and firmness change to a rather elastic sponginess. At this point, they are done.
- Place apples in a bowl. Cover with a few spoonfuls of syrup to keep them moist and colorful. Allow to cool before serving.
- Keeps several days in refrigerator in a covered container.